Dr. Mathew, along with her husband C. P. Mathew moved into the neighborhood in 1956, when it was as she used to say “a jungle full of bushes and shrubs”.
A reluctant entrant into Raja Annamalaipuram, she lived for 54 years in her house on 15, 2nd Main Road, slowly settling down and growing to love this area until her end. Dr. Mathew was born in Trivandrum on June 21, 1927.
A brilliant student, she graduated from the Christian Medical College, Vellore in 1950 with a gold medal in general medicine and surgery.
Her desire to reach out to the larger community prompted her to opt for a career in public health. A scholarship from UNICEF helped her deepen her knowledge and skills around maternal and child health as she obtained a post graduate specialisation in this sphere.
She joined the Corporation of Chennai in the health department and went on to contribute to population control as a District Family Planning Medical Officer for the Chennai district.
Dr. Mathew represented India in the Conference on Population Control at Ann Arbour Michigan in 1968-69. She retired from the Corporation of Chennai as Additional Health Officer.
She is survived by her three children. George Mathew, Dr. Philip Mathew and Sheela Varkey. Ph: 2493 6031.