H. Srinivasa, aged 86 passed away on April 8.
He passed out of College of Engineering, Guindy in 1945 and joined PWD as Junior Engineer the same. He worked on the Tungabhadra Dam at its workshop where he was the key man in setting up the shutter manufacturing plant and workshops at the Dam sites.
In 1958 Srinivasan joined National Coal Development Corporation at Ranchi as the first qualified engineer. He revolutionised the processes and methods of mechanical extraction of coal, leading to unprecedented rise in coal production and levels of productivity.
He was the path-finder for introducing heavy earthmoving equipment in large open cast mines like Bishrampur, South Belanda, Korba, East and West Bokaro.
He was the Chief of Engineering and Equipment Division in the Coal Industry, which was fully nationalised in 1973 when Coal India Limited was formed.
In that capacity he served with great distinction as a Member of Indian Boiler Board. He was also associated as a mining management Eexpert with the Kudramukh Project, Neyveli Lignite Corporation, Singreni, Central Water and Power Corpn. (CWPC) and Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
He retired from Coal India Limited as the Chief of Technical and Equipment Division in 1982.
He is survived by his son M. M. Subramaniam and daughters Chithra, Poornima and Meenakshi. The family can be reached at 9, Park Avenue, Kesavaperumal Puram. Ph: 2432 2890.