C. T. Muthuraman, a resident of Luz/Mylapore since 1947 passed away in December 2010 at the age of 90.
He hailed from a philanthropic family. His father, Chidambaram Chettiar was the pioneer in the electrification of Karaikudi and 6 other neighbouring towns in Chettinad by establishing a Corporation for it.
The wiring of the once famed Chitra Theatre and Gaiety Theatre in the city were done by his firm.
Chidambaram’s great grand father who attained sanyasa in Koviloor ‘madam’ established a Veda Patashala way back in 1883 and also provided a few needs of the temple. Muthuraman was the chairman of this Trust which conducts several spiritual activities.
uthuraman was an exceptional student both at school and college. He was one of the earliest graduates from Karaikudi and also helped in the education of people. Through the firms that he established and partnered, he provided employment to more than 300 people in Pudukottai, Chennai, Madurai and Vijayawada.
Muthuraman contributed generously to the maintenance and kumbabhishekam of several temples on the demise of his wife. For several decades, he offered food to the poor who lived around the Mylapore Saibaba Temple and the Besant Nagar Annai Vailankanni church.
His son, Chidambaram says his father’s art deco house on Luz Avenue was like a chathiram and his kitchen was always buzzing with activity. His doors were always open to students from rural areas who had come to study or those who were on their way to Malaya, Ceylon or Kasi, those who had come to shop in Chennai.
His family now lives at 35, Sriram Colony, Abhiramapuram Ph: 99410 07068.